Friday 14 October 2011

An Experience That Changed Someone

I saw my cousin the other day. I haven’t seen him for three years. He had been in jail for a bit more than 2 years. He did all sort bad things after his father was killed by a robber when he was a teenager. This traumatised him and he became a delinquent. He called me the other day and we met in a nearby pub.
I didn’t had news from him for a long time and I thought he was still in jail as he was sentenced for five years. It turned out that he was released earlier for good behaviour and that he went to Latin American for three months. He told me that being in jail made him realise how wrong was his life and how he could make it right. So he decided to help people and redeem himself from the bad things he has done in his life. He decided to join a volunteering program in Latin America. So off he went to volunteer in Costa Rica as a builder. He built a school for local children that had no education and were living in very poor conditions. He met so many fascinating people and for the first time in his life he felt like he was truly important. He was telling me that he felt as he was rediscovering himself, his true self was taking the best out of him and chased away his reckless tempered character. He became a very calm, warm and filled with passion person. He then told me that he was going to volunteer in Guatemala and work on an environmental project. He didn’t know exactly what he wanted to do in his life but it was certainly going to be something good. I couldn’t believe the person I saw. He was completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment