Thursday 12 January 2012

Kayak Scotland

Since I had taken a brief introductory course on kayaking, I felt as though I was up for the challenge of exploring Scotland's coastline by sea kayak. Although I did feel quite confident in my paddling skills, I felt it necessary to hire a tour guide for this adventure, as I was unfamiliar with the area;
the last thing you want when sea kayaking is to end up in an unexpected area, with little or no resources in the time of an emergency. Located about on hour from my Short break Scotland hotel, the company provided me with the necessary equipment, as well as a refresher course on how to safely conduct myself on the water. After all of this, we made the trek to the waterfront.


Surrounded by some of the most stunning scenery that I have ever come across, we made our way through the sea lochs of the Applecross Peninsula. There is something about being surrounded by mountains when on the sea that makes one fully appreciate the environment that one is in. It makes you feel as though you are about an inch in height, at the mercy of mother nature. Yet, the trip was a huge success, although my hands did get cold at several points.

The next day I had to make my way to one of those spectacular Hotels in Perthshire to meet up with a relative. Although I was unable to partake in another activity like the one I had experienced the previous day, I felt as though I had spent my time in Scotland wisely. I now have a new outlook on how powerful, majestic, and beautiful the country of Scotland is. If you are looking for a similar experience, or if you are a talented kayaker, I would strongly suggest that you consider the coastline of Scotland. To date, it has been one of the most memorable experiences that I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment